Monday, March 12, 2007

I'm in denial; the tractor is not working.

  JUST NOW, I POSTED THIS QUESTION ON THE JOHN DEERE FORUM ... HOPING FOR A REPLY.

Click here: Yesterday's Tractors - Discussion Forum

 I had posted the questions on the sad problems that we had about the bill on our tractor overhaul.
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=jd&th=229966

    After paying the labor bill that was twice what was quoted, I have run the tractor twice.  First was plowing snow for about two  hours.  Then, it wouldn't start ... TOO COLD?
    Today, I ran the tractor for about half an hour, again plowing snow.
    Then, after pushing snow in REVERSE, I shifted back into first gear.  Engaging the hand-clutch ... the RPM'S went way down & I heard this sick little clunk ahead of me ... in the area of the engine.  The tractor never made any attempt to move forward.
    I put it into reverse again; the tractor would move in reverse ( maybe it never came out of reverse?)
    I put it into second gear this time ... again ... the RPM's came way down & the tractor did not move ... again that sickly little clunk in the forward area.
    At the idle, or with the hand clutch disengaged ... everything was fine
    I shut the tractor down ... checked all the fluids ... went into denial.
     The nearest tractor mechanic is nearly a hundred miles away.  The guy who did the work on the tractor said that he wouldn't warrenty his job "because we used some after-market parts".
    Should he be, nevertheless, required to see (at no extra charge) if something wasn't put back together right?
    It is just not in the budget to do it the right way this time & have the tractor hauled a hundred miles to the REAL tractor mechanics.

No comments: