Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SHIFTING PROBLEMS

Indifference WELL, ONE OF THE GUYS STOPPED BY ... I told him of the problems shifting the tractor.  Of course, when we started the tractor up ... the gears didn't lock up for him!  But, he could see that it was not going into the various gears easily.  He kept putting it into each gear, over & over again ... eventually the problem seemed to go away.  His prescription was to avoid first gear & just do the running thru the gear positions to get the one that I wanted to work!      THIS IDEA IS NOT NEW TO ME ... I JUST WAS WORRIED TO RUIN SOMETHING AFTER THE BIG REPAIR BILL & LONG WAIT.

   I'm going to use the tractor, CAREFULLY, to see if it does this again.   ALSO,  I'm going to keep asking around to get opinions about this shifting problem.  Since I have the shop manual, the parts book, & the owner's manual, I think I'll make copies of some of those pages... my sons are very knowledgeable mechanics.  (Too bad they're so far away.)

OUR TRACTORS IN WISCONSIN WERE ALLIS CHALMERS (2) D17's.  The one I used to launch boats with at our Marina   didn't want to go into gear.  I'd be hanging onto the brakes for all I could ... not wanting to have the tractor, trailer, & big boat roll backwards into the DEEP river.  I kept a hammer by my feet on the tractor & tap the shift lever into the gear I wanted!    

 

ALSO ... SHIFTING GEARS ON OTHER MACHINERY ... LIKE MY SEMI ...  I'd have to poke it into another gear or two before I could get it into the one that I really wanted.  I was so used to it, I didn't even really think about it as I was doing it.  Maybe it helped get the RPM's down so it would shift easier?

 Truck Driver 2 

    Hoping you have a fast connection ... some of these little movies on YouTube take a long time to load ... but, once loaded, you can repeat the movie instantly.
This first one is of the tractor coming into the yard.
 
Did you see the short movie that I did of my sister Florence & her truck?
 

HERE'S AN INTERESTING VIDEO ABOUT A FAMILY TRACTOR.

CLICK HERE-YouTube - 1941 B John Deere Tractor

HERE'S WHAT I'M LISTENING TO ON THE RADIO:

LISTEN TO REAL LIVE YOOPERS TALKING:
Click here for streaming internet 6 days a week

L o i  

my journal: Upper Peninsula, MI and beyond
my website:
Crystal Falls, MI

No comments: